Friday 15 July 2011

It's not a joke book!

I had a conversation with a lady a wee while ago and we were talking about the Bible, and she informed me that she thought all Christians would admit that the Bible wasn't true.  I told her she had just found one Christian who would admit no such thing!

She went on to tell me that there was no way the Bible could be true, because there were "a million things" that were just a joke, so I asked her to give me one.  This proved to be a problem!  I tried to cajole her into giving me just one out of the million jokes in the Bible, but she wasn't forthcoming with them.

I read to her from Psalm 22, which she immediately identified as being a passage about the Lord's crucifixion, despite the fact the passage was written hundreds of years before crucifixion and a thousand years before the crucifixion of Christ.  I told her this is just one of many prophetic portraits of the coming Christ, which include details that couldn't have been foreseen or fluked.  This was something she could not account for.  I tried to point out that this is no joke, the Bible is the Word of God, and it has a serious message for all of us to consider.