Tuesday 13 September 2011

If I close my eyes you can't see me!

I want to tell you a bit more about the steamroller I spoke to recently.

As I like to do with atheists and sceptics, I read to him from Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22, and asked him who the passages were talking about.  He saw that they were speaking about Jesus Christ, and I asked him how he could account for that given the passages were written hundreds of years before Christ's birth, and they were written before the invention of crucifixion.  His answer was, "But I don't believe it."

I told him that I understood he didn't believe it, but I didn't understand why.  He simply replied again, "I don't believe it."  He didn't seem to see that that wasn't really an adequate response.  I told him that he was just burying his head in the sand.  It was like the child who closes his eyes and thinks no one can see him!  Just not believing something doesn't falsify it, or make it go away.  If a Christian was confronted with something that challenged his faith in the Bible, and merely said, "I don't believe it, I don't believe it..." I think the unbeliever would dismiss the Christian as having blind faith despite the evidence.  Remember this cuts both ways.  He was presented with evidence for the supernatural source of Scripture, and he just ignored it.

I had another interesting chat with a man last week on this very same issue.  He could see that Psalm 22 was definitely describing crucifixion, and when I told him crucifixion hadn't yet been invented, he searched for an answer, and came up with this - "Maybe the people that invented crucifixion got it from Psalm 22!"  I told him that I thought it was most unlikely that these heathen nations were studying the Hebrew song book and put their finger on the 22nd psalm and said, "Here, this would be a good way to kill people!"  But this is this just another striking example of how people will not go where the evidence leads; they would rather latch on to any bizarre idea or crazy theory, as long as it means they don't have to bow the knee to Jesus Christ.

Accept the obvious conclusion - Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53 are divinely given prophecies of the Christ, fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth.  It's true, it's real, and that means you need Him as your Saviour.