Saturday 11 February 2017

Taste test

I was in conversation with a "Jehovah's witness" and was asking him about the "New World Translation".

The question I had was to do with the policy the NWT has of inserting the name Jehovah into the New Testament when it doesn't appear anywhere in the Greek.

I told him I had been doing a bit of research and discovered that they put Jehovah into the New Testament whenever the New Testament quoted an Old Testament text that has Jehovah in it. I have no problem with that way of proceeding, however, I did ask him why the NWT didn't follow this policy consistently.

"What do you mean?" he asked. So I showed him Psalm 34:8, in the NWT it reads: "Taste and see that Jehovah is good", and there is a marginal cross reference to 1 Peter 2:3. When we come to 1 Peter 2:3 we discover that Peter quotes this verse, "provided you have tasted that the Lord is kind". (The Greek in 1 Peter 2:3 is drawn from the Greek version of the Old Testament - he is quoting.)



The thing is, the NWT doesn't put Jehovah in 1 Peter 2:3.



I asked my JW friend why that would be. He looked at the verse, read the next verse and said (and I quote), "There's your answer, Paul, it's talking about Jesus! Of course they didn't put Jehovah in."

Exactly. The NWT couldn't follow their policy consistently. If they did, it would show that the Bible teaches Jesus is Jehovah.